On 12/08/2010 21:59, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
Wei Hu wrote:
nonTermination _ = blackhole where blackhole = blackhole

My original example was actually:

process :: String ->  String
process = let x = x in x

Ah yes, that works too.  But other similar versions don't, like this one:

process :: String ->  String
process _ = let x = x in x

Hence why I added the "tail" in my version.

So what happens is this:

 - the recursive definition causes the main thread to block on itself
   (known as a "black hole")

 - the program is deadlocked (no threads to run), so the runtime
   invokes the GC to see if any threads are unreachable

 - the GC finds that
   (a) the main thread is unreachable and blocked on a blackhole, so it
       gets a NonTermination exception
   (b) the Handle is unreachable, so its finalizer is started

 - the finalizer runs first, and closes the Handle

 - the main thread runs next, and the exception handler for writeFile
   tries to close the Handle, which has already been finalized

Really hClose shouldn't complain about a finalized handle, I'll see if I can fix that.

Cheers,
        Simon