On 19/08/2010 18:21, John Millikin wrote:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 23:33, Jason Dagit<da...@codersbase.com>  wrote:
The main reason I would use iteratees is for performance reasons.  To help
me, as a potential consumer of your library, could you please provide
benchmarks for comparing the performance of enumerator with say, a)
iteratee, b) lazy/strict bytestring, and c) Prelude functions?
I'm interested in both max memory consumption and run-times.  Using
criterion and/or progression to get the run-times would be icing on an
already delicious cake!

Oleg has some benchmarks of his implementation at<
http://okmij.org/ftp/Haskell/Iteratee/Lazy-vs-correct.txt>, which
clock iteratees at about twice as fast as lazy IO. He also compares
them to a native "wc", but his comparison is flawed, because he's
comparing a String iteratee vs byte-based wc.

Handle IO is also doing Unicode encoding/decoding, which iteratees bypass. Have you thought about how to incorporate encoding/decoding?

Cheers,
        Simon