On 04/11/2010 08:17 PM, Henning Thielemann wrote:

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010, Andrew Coppin wrote:

On a somewhat tangental note: It seems increadible to me that Haskell was invented in 1990, and Miranda way back in 1985. At the same time, Commodore Business Machines released the iconic Commodore 64 in 1982, and most of the civilised people of the world spent the next 10 years or so writing computer programs in BASIC. It's a rather sobering thought to think that way back in those long-lost days of 8-bit microprocessors, RF-modulated graphics and unstructured programming, there were people somewhere working on languages such as Miranda. I mean, comparing BASIC to FP is like comparing a water pistol to a tactical thermonuclear device. (!) Where the heck did all this stuff happen?! Can you actually run something like Haskell with mere kilobytes of RAM?

For me at least 1985 is the year, where the Amiga 1000 was released. At this time, machines with a MC 68020 were refered to as "Work stations", what for me meant something like "expensive professional computer". For Amiga with some megabytes RAM and a CD drive we had the Geek-Gadgets-2-CD in 1997 that contained Gofer. However at this time I was glad to program in object oriented style and especially GUIs with OOP.

I didn't get to see the Amiga 600 until at least five or six years later than that. (It's actually news to me that the Amiga line is that old.) And I spent most of my time programming it in Pascal (or AMOS BASIC - but that's not really "BASIC" any more). And between that, there was Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5 for MS-DOS, if you were forced to use a PC. It's scary to think that even way back then, vastly superior languages were being used in secret...