http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/ddc-heap-usage-20101231.png

We have no particular problem with the 11 peaks (one for each
source file) but wonder what the hell is going on in the periods
when the memory usage is flat.

The peaks I am guessing are largely attributable to parsing the source files. Then, once the source has been converted to an AST, the DDC compiler is presumably doing some analysis before moving on to the next file? I think these are the well-behaved flat bits. These phases do not allocate anything fresh, so they are not creating new data-structures, but perhaps are propagating static information around the AST. Something like a type/effect analysis maybe?

Regards,
    Malcolm