On 19/05/2011 11:00 PM, Daniel Peebles wrote:

I agree that from an end-user's perspective it isn't always a clear win,
but I do think that having a bunch of libraries (even ones that do the
same thing) an indicator of a healthy, active, and enthusiastic
community.

I won't argue with that. ;-)

Sure, it's decentralized and people will often duplicate
effort, but different variations on the same idea can also help explore
the design space and will reveal to everyone interested what works and
what doesn't.

Yeah, as some others have said, it depends on the problem domain. For some things, it's really not clear what the correct abstractions are yet, and there's still a lot of design space to explore. (I might pick at random, say, Functional Reactive Programming. As best as I can tell, several people have ideas, but there's no clear "best way" of doing this yet. We're still experimenting.) For stuff like that, it's useful to have lots of people trying different stuff.

But yeah, if you want to do X and you encounter 15 libraries that do X
and can't find a clear consensus on what's best, I can understand why
that might be frustrating.

Moreover, there can be network effects involved. A while back somebody from Google wrote that everybody agrees that String is too slow for high-performance I/O, but each library that involves high-performance I/O tends to end up using a different text representation, which rather impedes compatibility between them.

I don't think there's really a clear solution
to that though, other than gently encouraging collaboration and scoping
out of existing work before starting new work. But people generally hate
working with other people's code, so I doubt that'll have much of an
effect :)

Yeah, I'm not going to present I have a solution. I merely wanted to point out that it's a problem which does exist. Some of the other folks in this thread seem to be coming up with useful ideas though.