On 30/08/2011 07:58 PM, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:

I think I know several mathematicians who learning that a person asking
for help begins with trying to distinguish between knowledgeable, and
those who just think they are, will simply - to say it politely - refuse
to engage.

I didn't intend to sound snobbish. It's just that there are people who will have read about XYZ in a book one time, and there are people who actually use XYZ every day of their working lives. The latter probably know a tad more about it. That's all.