Quoth Andrew Coppin <andrewcop...@btinternet.com>,
> On 29/12/2011 04:29 AM, Antoine Latter wrote:
>> This bug and its discussion is similar, but not identical:
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4363
>
> This one has been rumbling on for ages. As others have said, the Report
> demands that locking occur, which is probably a mistake.

The rationale that followed may have been a little sketchy, but
apparently everyone agrees with with the point.  I see the ticket
led to a discussion on the libraries list -
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2011-October/016978.html

... wherein Ian Lynagh proposed to remove this feature and let the
programmer enforce locking or not, as in other programming languages'
base I/O libraries.  This met with enthusiastic universal support,
so whatever the Report may say, it looks to me like the GHC libraries
will eventually not do this.

        Donn