Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> See the Haskell report, section 3.17.2 "Informal Semantics of Pattern
> Matching" [1].

And section 4.2.3 of the report [2] addresses exactly your points very
explicitly:

"A type created by newtype differs from an algebraic datatype in that...
The following examples clarify the differences between data
(algebraic datatypes), type (type synonyms), and newtype
(renaming types)..."

Regards,
Yitz

[1]