On 02/14/2012 04:13 PM, Doug McIlroy wrote:
Nevertheless, I share Jardine's concern about the central problem.
It is hard to find one's way in this ecosystem.  It needn't be,
as Java illustrates.

As a professional Java developer this sounds really strange, but maybe I just haven't found it yet.

Do you mean to suggest that it's easy to choose between e.g. Spring, Guice, etc., the umpteen OSGi containers, the several logging frameworks, etc. etc. etc.?

 To my mind Java's great contribution to theworld is its library index--light
years ahead of typical
"documentation" one finds at haskell.org, which lacks the guiding
hand of a flesh-and-blood librarian.  In this matter, it
seems, industrial curation can achieve clarity more easily than
open source.

Which library index? If you're talking about API documentation, then I must confess that I much prefer the Hackage docs.

I'm *really* confused by your post and really can't recognize the Java you're talking about.

Can you give us pointers to concrete examples?