On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But the network package doesn't try to let you work with raw file
> descriptors elsewhere (e.g. send and recv.) I'm not saying that
> functions on Fds aren't useful, they are, just that the network
> package is the wrong place for them. I'd put them in the unix package.

Putting them in the unix package means they won't be available for
Windows (where I needed them the most).

>> I use Int64 for Microseconds, to avoid truncation when Int is 32 bits.
>>  2^31-1 microseconds is only 35 minutes and 47.483647 seconds.
>> Perhaps I should just use Int and Int64, and be sure to document what
>> units are used.
>
> We should use whatever the underlying OS uses. If that's a 32-bit int,
> using a 64-bit int on the Haskell side doesn't help us. The goal here
> is to faithfully match the underlying APIs.

For SO_RCVTIMEO and SO_SNDTIMEO, Windows and Unix use different
representations.  Windows uses DWORD (unsigned 32-bit) milliseconds,
while Unix uses struct timeval, which has microsecond precision.

-Joey