> On 16 Sep 2016, at 09:24, Chris Smith <cdsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I guess the overriding question I have here is: what is the PROBLEM being
> solved?  I know of basically no beginners who were confused or intimidated by
> the syntax of Cabal's file format.

As a "beginner"(*), I fully agree.
However having more than one language in the mix can be confusing and
complicating...

> It's fairly commonplace for beginners to be confused by the *semantics*:
> which fields are needed and what they mean, how package version bounds work,
> what flags are and how they interact with dependencies, the relationship
> between libraries and executables defined in the same file, etc.

It's all about the semantics - it should preferably be formalised, and ideally
the relevant library/package system should be able to check/enforce rules.

> But the syntax?  It's just not an issue.  I'm not sure what it means to say
> that people have to "learn" it, because in introducing dozens of people to
> building things in Haskell, I've never seen that learning process even be
> noticeable, much less an impediment.

I quite agree

Andrew Butterfield
School of Computer Science & Statistics
Trinity College
Dublin 2, Ireland

(*) I've only started to use cabal recently, because a TA of mine built a
cabal-based coursework grading system for me - I generally do application devpt
in Haskell
and the only build command I need is ghc --make.... Currently moving quickly
onto stack this year....