Lennart Augustsson:
Haskell has now reached the point where backwards compatibility is something that must be taken very seriously. The motivation behind Haskell' was to bring the most common extensions into the standard, it was all going to be done in a year. Haskell' is not a new language, but growing Haskell98 with common extension. If there's something in Haskell' that will require a change every 1000 lines, then I think it's acceptable. If there's something in Haskell' that will require changing every other line, then it's not acceptable. The existing Haskell codes bases are simply too big.

I completely agree.

So I still think changing $ is insane. Why change? If you want a new operator, make a new one. Don't make a gratuitous change that will waste countless man hours. For me it's a simple decision, if $ changes I cannot use Haskell'. :(

Given that people can't even agree whether it makes sense to change $ at all, this is IMHO far away from a change that justifies breaking any code.

Manuel