Starting over made the problem magically disappear. I created a new folder
in my project, slowly copied parts into it, and it worked right away. I
moved this new folder out into a peer folder and exactly duplicated the
structure that was failing before, and it is working.

It must have been some cached build artifacts or something? I updated the
lts resolver halfway through in my main project, maybe that threw it off.

Thanks for all your help!