In the past I've had issues with haskeline complaining about
libtinfo.so. On my distro-of-choice (ArchLinux) no package actually
contains the links

  /lib/libtinfo.so -> /lib/libtinfo.so.5
  /usr/lib/libtinfo.so -> /usr/lib/libtinfo.so.5

so I had to create them myself. No big deal, just a bit irritating.
Creating them solved that problem.

Today I ran into another problem related to curses:

  $ stach ghci
  GHCi, version 8.0.2: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
  <command line>: can't load .so/.DLL for:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.3.1/../../../../lib/libncurses.so
(-lncursesw: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

/lib/libncurses.so is apparently a linker script:

  INPUT(-lncursesw)

and AFAIU that means it should go looking for `libncursesw.a` (which I
find a little strange). Anyway, I manually moved the linker script out
of the way and created the link

  /lib/libncurses.so -> /lib/libncursesw.so.6

and now `stack ghci` works again. I don't like it though, because the
next update of ncurses will overwrite my changes and I have to remember
to re-apply them :(

- Can someone on this list confirm that my understanding of how
"INPUT(-lfoo)" works is correct?

- I'm unsure why a distro would use a linker script for something as
  simple as that; a symbolic link seems to be equivalent, right?

- The reliance on each distro providing a proper ncurses package seems
  to result in stack being a bit more brittle than I really like. Is
  there any way to fix this?

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: mag...@therning.org   jabber: mag...@therning.org

I would rather use Java than Perl. And I'd rather be eaten by a
crocodile than use Java.
     — Trouser