Regarding standardization:

My suggestion to standardize Haskell was not a near-term thing,
but rather long-term; in particular there's no sense putting a
lot of effort into standardizing 1.X if we know that 2.0 is less
than a few years away.

In any case, the process is tedious and is guaranteed to burn out
anyone involved (:-).  Will Partain suggested to me an interesting
alternative:

  An alternative might be to have a "Haskell Consortium", analogous to
  the "X Consortium".  A non-profit, vendor-neutral, etc., etc.,
  organization that companies, etc., etc., can be "members" of (pay
  money to).  The Consortium shepherds proposals through various
  well-defined stages, produces "reference implementations", and so on.

  My impression is that it has worked for the X world (and the
  consortium continues to push the "X envelope").

  Will

Food for thought...

-Paul