Joe Fasel has proposed that we add a literate comment convention
to Haskell.  A good reason to make this change NOW is that it
would let Joe put the prelude in literate style for the SIGPLAN
version of the report, which he says he is willing to do.

I suggest the following:

        In literate style, program lines are lines beginning with >.  A
        blank line must separate program lines from comment lines; this
        catches many errors where one omits a > by mistake.

        The decision as to whether a Haskell file is literate or
        otherwise is system-dependent, e.g., a flag to the compiler or
        file extension (at Glasgow, we use .has for regular and .lhs
        for literate).

What do people think?  -- P