Date:    Fri, 01 Oct 93 11:30:10 -0800
From:    Warren Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ADTs in Haskell

Simon,

I agree with your comments about ADTs in Haskell.  However, your comments
brought to mind another question.

Do you know why Haskell allows
>  f a b c = exp
which almost means the same thing as
>  f = \a -> \b -> \c -> exp
(ignoring the monomorphism restriction), but does not allow
>  f Int Char (Stk Thing) :: [Thing]
for
>  f :: Int -> Char -> Stk Thing -> [Thing]

When teaching functional programming I always find the
>  f :: Int -> Char -> Stk Thing -> [Thing]
form confusing for students, particularly when the function is defined
using the
>  f a c b = exp
form.

[..omitted...]