At 8:08 PM 9/3/97, Patrick Logan wrote:
>I am stretching my imperative brain cells to comprehend(!) monads, and
>now their relationship to linear ("unique" in Clean) objects. I have
>glanced at Philip Wadler's paper, but the semantics are impenetrable
>to me at this point, and I am looking at the issue from a more
>"practical" point of view ("practical" in the sense of "practice",
>"practitioner", not that theory is impractical!).
>
>My impression is that monads and linear objects are used in
>essentially the same way. I have explicitly read how linear objects
>allow the compiler to "garbage collect" them at compile time because
>the compiler knows exactly how they are used. I assume the same can be
>done for monads? Is this done in the good Haskell compilers?

It has gone unnoticed by many that an assignment not only assigns a new
value to a variable, but is at the same time a form of static garbage
collection. The programmer implicitely states explicitely that the old
value is no longer of interest. This is were state-monads and
uniqueness-types coincide.

      Doaitse Swierstra

>In general laymen's terms, what are the performance and expressiveness
>issues in comparing monads with linear objects?
>
>Thanks
>--
>Patrick Logan                 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
>Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com

S. Doaitse Swierstra, Department of Computer Science, Utrecht University
(Prof. Dr)            P.O.Box 80.089, 3508 TB UTRECHT,   the Netherlands
                      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      WWW:   http://www.cs.ruu.nl/
                      PGP Public Key: http://www.cs.ruu.nl/people/doaitse/
                      tel:   +31 (30) 253 3962, fax: +31 (30) 2513791