Hi!

        1.  I don't seem to get my messages to this list
            echoed back to me...  (Which I consider a bug.)

        2.  As I tried to explain in detail in my previous message,
            (later) options 1 and 2 **do not make any sense**.
            Option 3 makes at least some sense, even though it
            has some problems.  You could generalize option 4
            to make sense too.
                The layout rule does not generalise well.  I still
            think that one should not give up entirely on it.  One
           way may be to require that "where", and other layout
           starters, are to have only spaces (U+0020),
           no-break spaces (U+00A0) and tabs (U+0009) in
           front of them on the same line, keeping the width
           rule for the tabs relative to the spaces.  (I know,
           present Haskell programs are not written that way.)

        >  The easiest way of thinking of Unicode is perhaps as a font
encoding; a
        > font using this encoding would add such things as typeface
family, style,
        > size, kerning (but Unicode probably does not have ligatures),
etc., which

           As everyone (getting) familiar with Unicode should
           know, Unicode is **NOT** a font encoding.
           It is a CHARACTER encoding.  The difference
           shows up mostly for 'complex scripts', such as Arabic
           and Devanagari (used for Hindi), but also in the processing
           of combining characters for 'latin'.  Glyph (at a "font
point")
           selection is based also on *neighbouring* characters.

           Unicode does have a number of compatability characters,
           but the explicit intent is that they should only be used
           for backwards compatability reasons.

                        /kent k

PS
B.t.w. Did you know...  that CR and LF should not be used
in "newly produced" Unicode texts.  One should use Line
Separator (U+2028) and Paragraph Separator (U+2029)
instead.  Line Separator is the one expected to be used
in program source files.