>From: Daan Leijen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>[...]
>> Allthough we have made a binding now for COM, it would indeed be great
>> if we could also have a CORBA binding; it is of vital importance that
>> Haskell can talk with the outside world and the more languages it knows, the
>> better :-)
>> Since there is a serious lack of programmers, it would be very nice if
>> someone would like to adapt H/Direct and the COM run-time modules to
>> create a CORBA binding on a UNIX system; any volunteers ?
>
>How big an effort would it be?  Do you have any estimate?
>
>Manuel

The actual work of adapting the compiler and changing/creating the run-time
support can probably done in a couple of weeks. However, this implies that
you know *a lot* about CORBA and know *exactly* how to design the Haskell model.
The CORBA spec. is huge and there are many ORB's around. It could take quite
some time before you are familiar enough with it, to know what to do. My guess
is that
it would take at least 4 months with someone who is an expert at haskell and
familiar
with component frameworks.

Anyway, H/Direct is not even officially released yet, and I would highly
recommend it
as a starting point for a CORBA binding.

Cheers,  Daan.