Colin writes:

  Another aspect of your comment that troubles me is the strong
  implication that if the default were Integer, things would not be `done
  right'.  Presumably you mean that it would be painful to make use of a
  Prelude with Int-based standard functions?  If so, then the current
  design will lead to double frustration: (1) some programs will give
  bizarre answers because of modulo-word-size arithmetic; (2) this will
  lead programmers to request Integer as the explicit default, only to
  discover that things are no longer `done right'.

I don't disagree with this.  But the Haskell 98 committee already
decided to use `Int', not `Integer' or (Num a) or (Integeral a), in
prelude functions.  So the prelude won't be fixed, and given that also
not fixing the `default default' seems to me to be the consistent
solution.  -- P