Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> [...] C++ stores type information in the symbol to resolve overloading.
> Ghc might do a similar thing.  Than again Haskell overloading is
> nothing like C++ overloading so maybe not.

There's nothing wrong with this kind of name mangling: When the library
is updated, the names for procedures/functions/methods/members/[insert
your favourite name here] of the same type stay the same. My guess is
that lambda lifting and cross-module inlining are the real problems in
the case of Haskell.

> [...] I have a better idea.  Have a pragma to allow the preprocessing
> to be done my some arbitrary haskell function. [...]

Hmmm, apart from the fact that in this case every compiler has to
include some kind of Haskell interpreter it sounds like a real
sledgehammer: Most people don't want to write a program transformer
just to replace isAlphanum by isAlphaNum. "Keep the common case simple".
As an additional tool it could be nice.

Cheers,
   Sven
--
Sven Panne                                        Tel.: +49/89/2178-2235
LMU, Institut fuer Informatik                     FAX : +49/89/2178-2211