On 19 Aug, Mark P Jones wrote:
>  [...] note that the error messages that prompted
>  Jon's comment didn't have anything to do with sophisticated type systems.
>  Dealing with those kinds of things requires some hard work, but it isn't
>  research, and so it's hard to justify, at least in an academic context.

This was my thought exactly, but it occurs to me to wonder whether it
might not form an interesting undergraduate (or early graduate)
project.  The idea would be to instrument hugs to record errors so that
one could discover what were the most common errors, and then modify
the parser to add error productions to cope with them.  It's the sort
of thing that could be added to year on year.

--
Jón Fairbairn                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]