On  8 Sep, George Russell wrote:
> Don't add more functions like concatSep to the standard library or prelude.

Certainly not to the prelude, but I think there is a strong case for
evolving the standard library based on what people use.  I use
((concat .) intersperse) quite a lot, and having a standard name for
it would be a good thing.  concatWith would be another possible name.

> Instead document what is there better.

Both.

> (1) document the IO functions in one place

Hear hear. One might argue that the definitions ought to be in the
same module, too.  I'd prefer a structure where there was a prelude
that contained next to nothing (just the stuff that the language
itself depends on) and libraries, together with a 'standard library'
that includes the stuff from each of these libraries that are at
present in the prelude.  Most beginners programmes might have to start
with

> import UsualStuff

but that's a small price to pay.

> (2) document all functions with some text

hear hear.

> (3) there should be an index of all functions,

hear hear.

> (4) Haskell implementors should be encouraged to modify the library report by adding
>     their own functions and comments directly into the main text.

I'd rather see:

(4) Haskell implementors should be encouraged to implement exactly the
library report and confine deviations to separate (well documented)
libraries.

  Jón

--
Jón Fairbairn                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]