Herbert Schuetz writes:

> But of course if the great merger of GHC and Hugs provides all the
> needed functionality (including, e.g., the possibility to load and
> invoke interpreted modules from within compiled code), then such a
> project might be superfluous, and your idea #1 becomes the
> best choice.
> (Is there any information yet about what the combined GHC/Hugs system
> will look like?)

The Combined GHC/Hugs will certainly make this possible.  The URL below is a
design document for the "Haskell Execution Platform", which basically
consists of Hugs and the GHC/Hugs runtime system packaged behind an API that
allows several "front end" clients: the Hugs command-line interpreter,
WinHugs, HaskellScript etc.  The HEP is basically an API for running Haskell
code, either interpreted or pre-compiled, or a mixture of the two.

        http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/papers/hep.ps.gz

I don't see any problem in principle with allowing programs running inside
the HEP to call back into the HEP in order to evaluate new expressions, thus
letting you write

        eval :: String -> IO ()

However, the full HEP implementation is still vapourware, although we have a
lot of the groundwork done.

Cheers,
        Simon