In article <ifado.list.haskell/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Keith Wansbrough  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ralf Muschall writes:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> >  > set up comp.lang.haskell?
>> > I agree with the above.
>>
>> This is IMHO the best solution for a lot of reasons:
>
>I disagree.  One major reason is the spam problem: a post to a
>newsgroup essentially guarantees putting your name on a spam mailing
>list, and receiving large quantities of Make Money Fast postings.

How do you come to think that mailing lists do not receive spam?
Mailing lists are evil except for a very limited (or restricted) public (< 100 p
ersons).

>> 2. The decision problem (high volume list without the important
>>    people or having to hesitate before every article) goes away.
>
>Many "important people" have a policy of no longer reading Usenet.

A lot of important people are in error otherways also.

I redirect any mailing list I happen to subscribe to into a local newsgroup.
I am glad of any such local group disappearing by converting the mail list into
a regular news group. This happened in comp.compilers.lcc, e.g.

BTW: The correct thing to do about SPAM is neither to leave Usenet nor
to try antispammed adresses (this is just to promote evolution of better
(worse) spammers). Spammers have to be prosecuted, legally and socially.