If you've looked at Andy Gill's Html module, he's proposed embedding a
little XML in a leading comment:

{-
<haskell:module>
  <Name>Html</>
  <Version>0.1</>
  <Description>
        Main import module for the Html combinators</>
  <License>
        The Haskell Html Library is Copyright &copy;
        Andy Gill, and the Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and
        Technology, 1999, All rights reserved, and is distributed as
        free software under the license in the file "License", which
        is included in the distribution.</>
  <Author>
        <A HREF="http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~andy">Andy Gill</a></>
  <Restrictions>
        This works with all Haskell 98 compilers.
  </Restrictions>
  <Tested>Hugs98, GHC 4.03</>
</haskell:module>
-}

We haven't had a chance to formalize this yet but at some point soon
haskell.org will have a way for users to submit library modules with
information embedded in this manner and then we will use this
information to update haskell.org's information about a library.

   John