One further point I want to make.  It should not be the purpose of the
Glasgow Haskell Implementors to solve all the world's programming problems;
they should focus on providing a good set of Haskell tools.  As I think this
discussion has illustrated, there are a number of high-tech experimental
literate programming solutions out there, but while they may be flavour-of-
the-month now, they may be horribly obsolete in 5 years time.  Also they
frequently are only accessible to people using certain operating systems;
for example, it is already too much trouble for me to compile the Glasgow Haskell
documentation because it uses DocBook, which only appears to exist on RedHat Linux.
So I think if the GHC implementors do intend to use some sort of literate
programming, they should stick to what is simple, well-understood, and easy
to install on all systems.  (unlit.c, for example.)  Leave experimenting with
novel formats to other people.