"S.D.Mechveliani" wrote:

> D. Tweed  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes on 1 Jun 2000
>
> >> We also may paste
> >>                                  True :: Bool  instead of  False
> >> (the type design does not help),
> >>                                  x / 0      instead of  x / 2,
> >>                                  take n xs  instead of  take (-n) xs
> >> We also may forget to write a program and try to use it.
>
> > Do you really believe the general principle that `if something is
> > inherently error prone then something is only worth doing if it solves all
> > the errors completely, not if it only makes things slightly less error
> > prone?' That would suggest that strong typing, haskell style modules and
> > numerous other innovations are mistakes made in the language design
> > process.
>
> I meant: if 3/4 of errors still remain after the perfect type design,
> maybe, the place of this type design is not so important.

I totally disagree.  I would say that at most 1/4 of the errors remain
when you've fixed the type errors.  Perhaps you're not taking full
advantage of the type system?  Using Char for a mode would certainly
be a case of not using the type system to your advantage.
Never reuse types!  Make new types for everything! :)

--

        -- Lennart