On 03-Aug-2000, Erik Meijer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Not "at least" but "only". I haven't heard of plans for .NET on any
> > non-Windows platform.
>
> Then you should listen more closely! a quote from the .NET whitepaper:
>
>     Microsoft .NET proactively adapts to what you
>     want to do, on any of your devices. This inversion
>     of the traditional installation-dependent application
>     model is a necessity in a world where users will
>     enjoy the benefits of services on multiple devices.
>
>     http://www.microsoft.com/net/

I interpreted this as marketing speak for "It will run on WinCE".
I have never ever heard specific mention of Microsoft developing any of
the .NET stuff to run on a non-Windows platform.

However Microsoft does have plans to standardize large parts of the
.NET architecture.  I would expect that alternate implementations on
other platforms would be part of the standardization process.
Of course they would probably get some other company to do that.

I think Microsoft believes it might be a feather in their cap to
standardize C# and the .NET framework very quickly, to contrast with the
apparently slow progress in standardizing Java.

Whether this leads to viable implementations on other platforms is of
course a completely different question.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.