Sengan wrote:
> I don't buy this: for a long time the embedded hard realtime people
> refused to use CPUs with cache because they would be
> "non-deterministic".
> They finally gave up, realizing that CPU's with caches are much faster.
> If garbage collection is relatively cheap and makes it 10x faster to
> make
> a reliable system, they'll end up using it too. Non deterministic is not
> that important. Worst time is.
However REALLY worst-time-bounded garbage collection is very expensive in
CPU time.  (Is there anything better than Baker's train algorithm?)
In any case even if you do have garbage-collection, you will still need to
demonstrate that you won't run out of memory.  And if you're going to
do that sort of analysis, wouldn't it be better to use something like
MLKit's regions rather than garbage collection?