I have used alex / happy a few times
without too many problems I believe happy
now contains yacc style information
for operator precidence :-).

If I were you I would use
Happy + Alex for the scanner/parser.
but use asdl for the definition of the
data structures.
(There is a link to this
from the haskell.org tools page)

I recently used all three on a similar
translation project.

It was initially written all in Haskell
but there was a section which caused a bottleneck
[An XML parser which had to read files > 20Mb]
which I was able to hand-craft in C lex/yacc and slot in
using ASDL.

Using ASDL meant that an escape-route was available
when haskell proved to be too slow and also other
folks (non haskellers) could write sections as long as
the interface was defined.

For the most part however haskell was fine and it was only
the size of the files being read that crippled me really.

Chris