Hi,
I'm glad that there's interest for a tool like hat-anim. I should warn you however that the current version is far from perfect - it has some problems with displaying infinite lists and with some lambda expressions and worst of all has a pretty nasty memory leek problem (there's what I get for writing it in C). I am currently re-writing it in Haskell, and hopefully will produce a more reliable tool. I'll tell you when the tool is working.

Thanks

Tom Davie

On 12 Oct 2004, at 14:34, Olaf Chitil wrote:

From:
Colin Runciman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 October 2004 10:38:21 BST
To: Philip Wadler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: John Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Simon Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Susan Eisenbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Haskell] Re: elementary tracing for Haskell

Phil,

Are there any tools for beginning programmers that give traces of Haskell programs? I want something like the following. Given the defintion

sum [] = 0
sum (x:xs) = x + sum xs

typing

sum [1,2,3]

should yield this trace

sum [1,2,3]
1 + sum [2,3]
1 + 2 + sum [3]
1 + 2 + 3 + sum []
1 + 2 + 3 + 0
1 + 2 + 3
1 + 5
6

I know there are advanced tools like Hat, but (unless I'm missing something) they don't yield anything as naive as the above, and it's naive users I'm trying to help here. -- P

There is a Hat tool called hat-anim that can do this kind of thing. It was developed by Tom Davie as a student project. It is not part of the current "official release" of Hat but is included in the CVS version. Tom is now a PhD student at Canterbury ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), supervised by Olaf Chitil ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Regards
Colin R