Adrian Hey wrote:

The first step to solving a problem is to at least recognise
that it exists. What is "bizarre" is that so many folk seem
to be in denial over this. Perhaps you would like to show
me your solution to the "oneShot" problem.

Why are you unable to give a concrete real world
example of why this is necessary then. Even your
example of real world hardware that must be
initialised once fails! (What if I start two copies
of the program?) With this example the only
satesfactory solution if for the hardware itself
to keep track of when it is initialised. If the hardware
has a "I have been inititalsed" flag, the init
routine would check this flag as its first action and
exit should initialisation already have taken place.
Any other solution is broken in a multi-threaded
environment (or  even a single-threaded one in which
multiple exexutions of the same program are possible
like DOS).

   Keean.