What about just implementing the cheapest solution that still gets us most
of the way?

(3) If it is as cheap (to implement) as advertised then there is no great
risk involved. If it turns out the missing features are a great
show-stopper for some people (which I don't believe) then let them present their case afterwards, with good examples at hand. We can still decide to
aim for a higher goal in the long term.

If in doubt, chose the solution that is easier to implement.

Since this paper, there have been several proposals which can be 90% implemented as libraries, using either functional dependencies or associated types. These all have much more expressive type systems than the SPJ paper, yet need very little compiler support. The question is, which one (if any) should get this small but necessary support?

Barney.