Hi Bulat,

On 27.05.2010, at 19:14, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

Hello Axel,

Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 4:02:21 PM, you wrote:

the Gtk2Hs team is very happy to announce the release of version
0.11.0, the first release that comes in Cabal packages!

can be built with GHC 6.10 and 6.12 and Cabal 1.6 and 1.8. However,

does it mean that i can just issue "cabal install gtk" with any 6.10.*
or 6.12.* version and it will be compiled automatically? overall, can
you please give us details what Cabal support gives to us developers
who uses gtk2hs?

In order to install Gtk2Hs, one has to indeed say

cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools
cabal install gtk

(assuming that ~/.cabal/bin is on your PATH). I has been suggested to us that gtk2hs-buildtools should install a fake library, so that gtk can depend on it and have the build tools installed as a side-effect.

About the benefits to the developers, I guess there are the obvious:

- an application x that depends on gtk can be compiled by saying 'cabal install x' (but see above)
- no more fiddling with ./configure in MinGW on Windows
- faster compilation time

Maybe I'm missing the point of your question, though.

Cheers,
Axel.