[Please forward to suitable candidates.  Thanks! Kevin.]

We have eight funded research scholarships available under the University of St
Andrews Seventh Century scheme.
These are open to students from any country, and pay fees as well as
maintenance.  The deadline for applications is March
31st 2014, but it's good to apply earlier.

We have an active group of about ten academic academics, postdoctoral research
fellows and postgraduate students
working on a variety of topics.  We'd welcome applicants who are interested in
any aspect of functional programming
and related areas, including:

Parallel Functional programming; Heterogeneous multicores (including CPU/GPU
combinations); Refactoring; Patterns of computation;
Machine-Learning; Compilation; Real-time functional programming (e.g. in Hume);
Semantics of Programming Languages;
Functional cloud computing;  Functional Programming and Security; Dependent
Types; Effects and other extra-functional properties;
Relaxed memory consistency; Multicore programming; Formal concurrency models;
Concurrency verification; Application of functional ideas to other paradigms,
including C and C++.  We work with various functional languages including
Haskell, Erlang, idris, OCAML, Hume and F#.

We have excellent links with both academic and industry, and are coordinating
the EU Framework 7 ParaPhrase project,
which involves 13 partners from 8 European countries:
http://www.paraphrase-ict.eu

Please contact me to discuss possible project ideas.  Applications should be
made through:

http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospective-pg/research-degrees

When applying, please indicate that you would like to apply for 7th Century
Funding.

Best Wishes,
Kevin

--------

Kevin Hammond, Professor of Computer Science, University of St Andrews

T: +44-1334 463241   F: +44-1334-463278    W: http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~kh

In accordance with University policy on electronic mail, this email reflects
the opinions of the individual concerned, may contain confidential or copyright
information that should not be copied or distributed without permission, may be
of a private or personal nature unless explicitly indicated otherwise, and
should not under any circumstances be taken as an official statement of
University policy or procedure (see http://www.st-and.ac.uk).

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532