On September 24, 2015 at 5:56:36 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel (h...@gnu.org)
wrote:
> Dear Haskell Community,
>
> In short, it's time to assemble a new Haskell Prime language
> committee. Please refer to the CfN at
>
> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2015-September/003936.html
>
> for more details.

Thanks Herbert, for taking the lead in getting this process rolling again.

I just wanted to take a moment to note that, while I am not in academia myself,
it seems to me that serving on the committee  should be a very good opportunity
for graduate students and younger PhDs to engage in what is considered “service
to the profession,” as much so as reviewing papers or such. While nailing down
extensions to a language spec is not necessarily a glamorous task, it is
certainly one that is important. Furthermore, given the growth in the use of
Haskell as a general purpose programming language adopted across many
application domains, involvement with the language standardization process
seems like it is potentially more of a “feather in one’s professional cap” than
in years prior.

Cheers,
Gershom