On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:20:37 -0400, Sean Conner <s...@conman.org> wrote:

> It was thus said that the Great Peter Corlett once stated:
> > On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:48:13AM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > >
> > > * Use the same function for two totally different things.
> > >   * eval BLOCK; eval STRING
> > >   * select FILEHANDLE; select BITS, BITS, BITS, TIMEOUT
> >
> > Don't forget the three forms of goto: "ugly but useful performance hack",
> > "break out the BASIC interpreter and fondue set, it's eighties night", and
> > "computed GOTO, just kill me now!"
>
>   Are you kidding?  It can get much worse than that.  I came across a
> language [1] that allows for patterm matched random GOSUBs (and that's the
> general case---it can do GOSUBs like other langauges, but it can also do
> random GOSUBS, calculated GOSUBs, and pattern matched GOSUBs with randomness
> thrown in for free).
>
>   I am not making that up.
>
>   And the overall syntax gives the sendmail.cf format a run for its money
> (I'm still not sure which one is worse---at least the documentation for
> sendmail.cf is easily obtainable, unlike the language I came across).
>
>   -spc (Oh, and variables aren't named but numbered ... )
>
> [1]     INRAC.  As far as I can tell, it was only used in two projects:
>         Racter [2] and Star Alpha [3].
>
> [2]     Not so much Artificial Intelligence as it is Artificial Insanity.
>         It can be quite amusing at times.
>
> [3]     I think it's some tutorial software in writing poetry.  I'm not sure
>         as I haven't run it yet.

Reminds me of an April-fools article introducing "COME FROM" to the
language to ease debugging. In the end of that article they also
described "COME FROM ON ...". Hilarious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMEFROM
http://www.fortran.com/come_from.html

using perl5.00307 .. 5.14   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE