Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] Questions about the extensively processed rfMRI data
From: st...@fmrib.ox.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 06:21:36 +0100
CC: hcp-users@humanconnectome.org
To: aaroncr...@outlook.com

Hi
On 25 Feb 2015, at 03:39, Aaron C <aaroncr...@outlook.com> wrote:Dear HCP
users,I have some questions about the extensively processed rfMRI data of
“parcellation-timeseries-netmats”. Their filenames are
“groupICA_3T_Q1-Q6related468_MSMsulc.tar.gz”,
“NodeTimeseries_3T_Q1-Q6related468_MSMsulc_ICAd*_ts*.tar.gz”, and
“netmats_3T_Q1-Q6related468_MSMsulc_ICAd*_ts*.tar.gz”. 1. For nodes, is there
any specific threshold applied to the ICA spatial map to obtain the parcel?
No - thresholding was only used to generate the thumbnail overlays.
 I see from an old message of this mailing list that the thumbnail images were
obtained by thresholding the ICA spatial map at Z>6. But how about the
threshold for obtaining that parcellation? Is that also Z>6?
2. These ICA spatial maps were obtained from the ICA+FIX preprocessed data,
therefore, given the dimensionality of 100 as an example, are all these 100
components non- artifactual?

Not necessarily; there can still be some artefactual processes left in the
data, and out of (eg) 100 components there can possibly be a few artefactual
ones.   We have not attempted to classify those group-level components in the
PTN release.
3. For these netmat *.pconn.nii files, are the first column corresponded to the
first ICA component shown in the thumbnail image “0000.png” in the folder
“melodic_IC_sum.sum”, the second column corresponded to the second thumbnail
image “0001.png” in the folder, and so on?

Yes
4. For these thumbnail PNG images, could I find any annotation regarding the
corresponding dominant brain region on the HCP website (e.g., something similar
to the annotations in Figure 4(A) of Dr. Smith et al.’s paper
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24238796)?

Sorry - we haven't tried to annotate the PTN components.
5. Have these data ever been global signal regressed?
No.
Cheers, Steve.

 Many thanks!

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)