This part of your call:

, 'readdata', false);

is telling ft_read_cifti to not load the data matrix, that is why it isn't
there.

If you are just as comfortable in C++, then yes, CiftiLib is likely the
best solution, it is directly based on the code we use in connectome
workbench for cifti files.  If what you need to do with the dconn organizes
well with the on-disk structure of the matrix (i.e., not needing more than
a few rows in memory at once, never needing to read columns), then it will
work efficiently with almost no memory footprint (as long as you don't tell
it to read the entire file into memory).

I don't think we distribute parcellated versions of the connectome yet, as
there hasn't exactly been a consensus on a parcellation for the entire
cortex.  You can use -cifti-parcellate to apply a parcellation to the
dconn, if you have one that you favor.

Tim