Hi Tom

actually the MegaTrawl latest version is here:
https://db.humanconnectome.org/megatrawl/index.html
<https://db.humanconnectome.org/megatrawl/index.html>

But yes indeed - early on within the HCP we discussed options for trying to
deal with this large-scale-multiple-comparisons-problem, but quickly agreed
that it really wasn't our role (and wasn't practical) for us to try to "police"
on this issue.    Another possible form of "policing" would be to keep-back a
truly-left-out sample of subjects, but there were too many ethical, practical
and statistical problems with that.   We also (light-heartedly!) discussed
having some kind of "multiple-comparison sin counter" that ticks up every time
someone does a new analysis....  ;-)   but as you say there was no
straightforward solution presenting itself...

Cheers.

> On 14 Sep 2016, at 13:52, Thomas Nichols <t.e.nich...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear Don, (Simon?)
>
> I see two classes of use for the HCP data sets.
>
> (1)    The HCP participant results may be used as norms for comparison with
> matched participants from whom we capture measures which may be compared.
>
> (2)    The HCP participant results may be used exclusively.
>

> I think it is only the latter, (2), for which there is a problem although I
> certainly could be wrong.
>

> I agree, the first doesn't have multiplicity problems (though accuracy with
> which you can match subjects & scanner data is another concern).
>

>  Tom, you used the scenario of a bunch of labs using the data to do one test
> each and stated: “…I would say that requires a 'science-wide' correction
> applied by the reader of the 250 papers. …”
>
> That gets at what I’m asking.
>
> If I’m the author of one of those papers, I don’t want to be fooled or to
> fool any of my readers with the results from my laboratory by failing to
> correct for all the other comparisons which have been run on the same data.
>

> Yes, but the basic problem you, the individual author, face is what sort of
> correction should you apply.  You only studied variable #132; should you do a
> correction just for the 20 others in that domain, or all 250?  That's why I
> think all you can do is be open, and honestly report the scope of variables
> you considered (and if you did, e.g., search over 20 variables in a domain,
> correct over those), and report your result.  If the reader collects your
> result with 50 other papers they can use the appropriate level of criticism
> for that collection, which will be different from a reader that collects 250
> papers measures for consideration.
>
>  If I do that now, perhaps it’s workable to take account of all the work
> which has appeared to date to do the correction for multiple comparisons.
>
> But what about a laboratory which runs some other test 5 years from now?
>
> They must use a more stringent criterion given all the additional results
> which have since been published.
>
> At some point, it will become impossible to find a reliable result.
>

> Exactly.
>

> Of course, these notions apply to reviewers and other readers too which
> places a new level of responsibility on them compared with reading papers
> today.
>
> For editors and reviewers, the problem is particularly acute.
>
> If the authors of a paper used the correction criterion suggested by their
> isolated analysis but a ‘science-wide’ reading calls for a more stringent
> criterion, do they bounce the paper back or accept it?
>

> As you point out, Tom, there’s no simple answers to the base question, and
> there are lots of scenarios which would be worth understanding in this
> context.
>
> I wonder if there are those lurking on the list who would consider thinking
> [...]

Head of Analysis,  Oxford University FMRIB Centre

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
st...@fmrib.ox.ac.uk    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve
<http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve>

Stop the cultural destruction of Tibet <http://smithinks.net/>