Hi Mike,

It should be noted that _not_ all families were perfect sets containing a twin
pair and two non-twin siblings. The families that participated in HCP reflect
variation that exists in families in general: some half siblings, some twins
who choose not to participate with their co-twin, and, yes, some mothers giving
birth to two sets of twins with different fathers. We instituted procedures to
double-check data for cases such as these that were atypical, to verify their
accuracy before publishing the data.

It should also be noted that the current "mother_ID" and "father_ID" were based
on self-report measures. As such, participants missing a father_ID do not
represent individuals without fathers (of course), but rather individuals who
do not know the identity of their father, or choose not to reveal the identity
of their father.

Because these IDs are based on self-report, there could be inaccuracies. To the
extent possible, we intend to verify the current "mother_ID" and "father_ID"
variables using DNA contributed by the participant. Those verification data
should hopefully be available at the same time that the genetic information for
HCP is released.

--Greg

Greg Burgess, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist, Human Connectome Project
Department of Neuroscience
Phone: 314-362-7864<tel:314-362-7864>
Email: gburg...@wustl.edu<mailto:gburg...@wustl.edu>

On Sep 15, 2016, at 9:21 AM, Harms, Michael