Thank you Stephen for the prompt reply.
But why there is only one pe1 file with only one volume in it? For the
contrast like,  story > math  I would expect to find two beta images, one
for the "story" and one for the "math".  In addition, the pe1.dtseries.nii
maps are very correlated with tstat1.dtseries.nii (R>0.85) and there is
similar correlation for all contrasts of the same task/subject.