Also note that cifti files can contain both left and right hemispheres and
voxel data, while gifti files, including *.surf.gii, only contain one
hemisphere per file.  There is some explanation here:

http://www.humanconnectome.org/software/workbench-
command.php?function=-cifti-help

Note that cifti files generally exclude the medial wall from being
represented in the matrix, such that there are 29k indices that represent
the left cortex in our standard cifti space, but the left cortex surface
has 32k vertices.  Nibabel has some very new support for reading cifti
files in python, which should give the information of what each index in
the cifti file means (specifically which vertex index or voxel each spatial
index represents - the vertex coordinates are not in cifti files, so you
need to get coordinates from *.surf.gii files).  You may need to grab the
latest version from github:

https://github.com/nipy/nibabel

Tim