Dear HCP experts:

I’m trying to compare myelin map between two groups using FSL Palm. I generated
each subject’s myelin map using the HCP pipelines scripts (e.g., PreFreeSurfer,
FreeSurfer, and PostFreeSurfer pipeline). Before running FSL Palm, I have
merged each subject myelin map using following command: wb_command
-cifti-merge.

Then, to separate a CIFTI file into GIFTI and NIFTI, I ran the following
command:
wb_command -cifti-separate data.dscalar.nii COLUMN -volume-all data_sub.nii
-metric CORTEX_LEFT data_L.func.gii -metric CORTEX_RIGHT data_R.func.gii

When I run above command, I get error message as below:
ERROR: specified file and direction does not contain any volume data

So I checked the information of both merged myelin map data and each subject
data using wb_command -file-information.
I found that the CIFTI file really does not contain any volume data (Please see
below).

Name:                     data.dscalar.nii
Type:                     Connectivity - Dense Scalar
Structure:                CortexLeft CortexRight
Data Size:                4.28 Megabytes
Maps to Surface:          true
Maps to Volume:           false
Maps with LabelTable:     false
Maps with Palette:        true
All Map Palettes Equal:   true
Map Interval Units:       NIFTI_UNITS_UNKNOWN
Number of Maps:           18
Number of Rows:           59412
Number of Columns:        18
Volume Dim[0]:            0
Volume Dim[1]:            0
Volume Dim[2]:            0
Palette Type:             Map (Unique for each map)
CIFTI Dim[0]:             18
CIFTI Dim[1]:             59412
ALONG_ROW map type:       SCALARS
ALONG_COLUMN map type:    BRAIN_MODELS
    Has Volume Data:      false
    CortexLeft:           29696 out of 32492 vertices
    CortexRight:          29716 out of 32492 vertices

Could anyone please explain what’s wrong with data processing?
Since I didn't see any error messages when I ran the HCP pipeline, I have no
idea why CIFTI file does not contain volume data.

Thanks in advance.

Sang-Young Kim

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Department of Radiology, University of Pittsburgh