Hi,

The task description for the EMOTION data is as follows:

*This task was adapted from the one developed by Hariri and colleagues
which had shown evidence as a functional localizer (Hariri et al., 2002)
with moderate reliability across time (Manuck et al., 2007a). Participants
are presented with blocks of trials that either ask them to decide which of
two faces presented on the bottom of the screen match the face at the top
of the screen, or which of two shapes presented at the bottom of the screen
match the shape at the top of the screen. The faces have either angry or
fearful expressions. Trials are presented in blocks of 6 trials of the same
task (face or shape), with the stimulus presented for 2 s and a 1 s ITI.
Each block is preceded by a 3 s task cue (“shape” or “face”), so that each
block is 21 s including the cue. Each of the two runs includes 3 face
blocks and 3 shape blocks. However, there was a bug in the E-prime script
for this task such that the task stopped short of the last three trials of
the last task block in each run. To promote comparability across
participants, we decided not to fix the bug (given that a number of
subjects had already been run before it was detected) as we thought it
would have minimal impact on the data. In phase I, we compared this task to
one using negative and neutral IAPS pictures (see Supplemental Materials).*
A typical EV file looks like this (fear.txt)
32.053    18    1
74.196    18    1
116.338    18    1

The block length indicated is 18, where as the description says 21. My
question is if the onset listed here is that of the first trial or of the
cue.

My confusion is based on 2 things:
1. For the working memory (WM) data, the block lengths include the time of
the cue. The onsets are that of the cue.
2. The bug reported says the last 3 trials are cut-off/ missing, and if I
do the math it seems this can't be the onset of the cue. I wanted to
confirm this.

Please let me know.

Sincerely,
Manasij