Maybe if you post a picture I will know better what you were describing, as
what I said below is general.

Peace,

Matt.

From: Romuald Janik <romuald.ja...@gmail.com<mailto:romuald.ja...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM
To: Matt Glasser <glass...@wustl.edu<mailto:glass...@wustl.edu>>
Cc: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>"
<hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] Noise in rfMRI

Dear Matt,

Thanks for the references and answers.
Given your experience would you consider the short spike that I mentioned as
noise or this is not so clear cut?
Many thanks,
Romuald

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Glasser, Matthew
<glass...@wustl.edu<mailto:glass...@wustl.edu>> wrote:

  1.  ICA+FIX removes the spatially specific structured noise in the HCP data,
which includes cardiac, motion, and some kinds of respiratory effects
  2.  Ideally task fMRI data will be processed with ICA+FIX in the future (such
data exist for a subset of the subjects on our local server, but it has not
been run in ConnectomeDB yet).  ICA+FIX clearly removes false positives and
enhances statistical sensitivity of task fMRI data
  3.  It’s hard to determine a particular threshold where one should do lowpass
filtering and be sure on is not removing some neural signal.  Additionally,
unstructured noise can be removed in other ways.  Have a look at these
references:

https://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v19/n9/full/nn.4361.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21854968

There certainly is random thermal noise in the data, but that can be reduced by
parcellation or the Wishart Roll Off technique mentioned in the first reference.

Additionally there is the issue of global noise and global signal in resting
state fMRI data, which is the subject of a recent bioRxiv paper:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/09/27/193862

Peace,

Matt.

From: