Hi Maria,

Per XNAT’s installation wiki
page<https://wiki.xnat.org/display/XNAT17/Installing+XNAT+1.7>:

XNAT 1.7 was developed and tested exclusively on Tomcat 7. We have had some
success running under Tomcat 8, but there are known issues with some
combinations of different versions of the JDK and Tomcat 8 that we have not
been able to fully pin down. Running under Tomcat 8 is possible but is at your
own risk until we can fully test and quantify the issues on that platform.

It sounds like Tomcat8 could be the issue.  You didn’t mention your Postgres
installation, but that may be something to check – that the connection to
Postgres is working.

There may be useful information in some of the logs in the logs subdirectory of
your xnat.home folder or sometimes in your Tomcat Catalina logs.

XNAT also has a discussion
group<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/xnat_discussion>, where you might
be able to search and/or post and get useful information.

One thing you might want to look at is the XNAT Vagrant
project<https://wiki.xnat.org/documentation/getting-started-with-xnat-1-7/running-xnat-with-vagrant>
 to obtain a virtual machine with a running XNAT, if you would be able to do
the work you need using a VM rather than having an installation on your own
server.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike