Workbench does not transform the GIFTI Surface Files.  Workbench draws volumes
in coordinate space (not voxel IJK space) using the NIFTI ‘sform’ or ‘qform’.
If the software you are using ignores the NIFTI  ‘sform’ or ‘qform’ that may be
why the data does not align.

‘wb_command -file-information  <filename>’ will list the coordinate range for
both a GIFTI surface file and a NIFTI volume file.

John